Today is the big day! Atlanta has been a fun, culturally rich, and good-beer-and-music-having place to spend our final pre-trail living, it’s time to go.
Soon Jason and I will begin the 8 mile uphill trek to the summit of Springer Mountain, which marks the start of the Appalachian Trail. Along the way we can expect to marvel at discarded “shakedown” items from past thru-starters, and meet some of our new community for the next 6 months. Yes, I am bringing a Peacemaker for a kickoff summit toast.
Big thanks to all you friends and family who have supported, advised, helped prepare, or simply wished well and happy trails. I’d still be in Austin without you.
Read the Rest!
- Day 0: The Approach
- Day 13: First “Zero” in Franklin, NC
- Day 27: Exiting The Great Smoky Mountains
- Day 49: Welcome to Virginia
- Day 77: More Virginia But Not The Same
- Day 102: Definitely The Last Update From Virginia
- Day 122: And The States Won’t Stop (But I Might Here And There)
- Day 140: New Jersey - New York - New England
- Day 159: Return of the Climb
- Day 177: Difficult Trail and More Difficult Decisions
- Day 185: One Hundred Miles to Summit